Best Place to Pay Respect:
Arlington National Cemetery
Best Place to Learn Everything:
The epicenter of nearly everything known to man, the Library of Congress – The Library does not allow the public to borrow books. The institutional mandate is to serve Congress. However, WISE will receive a special day of orientation at which time, you will obtain reader cards that allow you to access materials while you are using a reading room.
Best Place to Imagine the Possibilities:
National Air and Space Museum
Best Place to be Overwhelmed:
The depths of hatred are on display at the United States Holocaust Museum
Best Real Estate Tour:
Stop at the world’s most famous address at the White House
Best Place to Feel History:
Best Place to Live JFK’s Vision:
John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
Best Place to Embrace the Present:
Carter Barron Amphitheater The outdoor venue’s annual lineup includes free shows that provide a great respite from the city.
Best Place to Cozy up to A Scientist:
Sit on Einstein’s lap and have your picture taken.
And other must-do items……
- Bike or run along the C&O Canal, starting in Georgetown.
- Rent a boat and kayak on the Potomac from the Thompson Boat Center
- Atlas District/ H Street, NE (and more)
- Congressional Cemetery (and more)
- 20 Secret Gardens & Green spaces
- Washington Nationals
- Just up the road – The Baltimore Orioles
- DC United – (…and their crazy fans – Barra Brava & Screaming Eagles: both fan clubs have great pre-game tailgate parties and they welcome all new comers)
Go hear some music. Music venues drawing national acts include:
- the Legendary 930 Club
- The Birchmere
- Merriweather Post Pavilion
- the place formerly-known-as the Nissan Pavilion (Jiffy Lube Live)
New York City:
If you have the energy, you can get to NYC and back in one day. The cheapest option is the “Chinatown buses” – so called because they run from Chinatown, DC to Chinatown, NY. There are many options, including: Bolt Bus and China Town Buses.
Amtrak is very comfortable, quick (3 hours), fun, and the trains run all day, everyday. Roundtrip price about $98 -190 depending upon day and time of travel.
About halfway between DC and NYC and is also a day-trip option
Beaches & Parks:
- Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
- Delaware beaches
- Ocean City
- Maryland beaches
- Bike Rock Creek Park on the weekends when they close the roads to vehicular traffic.
- National Zoo – Remember that the zoo is part of the Smithsonian, and all Smithsonian facilities are FREE!
Food & Drinks:
- Ben’s Chili Bowl
- Five Guys
- Matchbox Pizza
- 2Amy’s Pizza
- Florida Avenue Grill
- Restaurant Judy on 14th Street (U Street Metro, Green Line)
Mexican beers for a couple of bucks during happy hour. Also has yummy food, and music on some nights.
- Eastern Market
Eat, drink, socialize & use the free internet at: